Working out may wear you out for the time being but will keep you looking young and healthy for the rest of your life. Here is a super routine that will keep you fit for the rest of your life.
An elderly person is always portrayed as someone who is stooped with a protruding belly. This makes it all obvious that to look younger, one must work on strengthening and tightening the core muscles.When we say core muscles we are referring to those muscles that keep us erect and stable and these are the abdominal muscles and the lower back.
The best way of working these muscles out is by considering them as one whole. You are going to do five different exercises in super set format. This means that you will do one set of exercise number 1 followed by the first set for exercise number 2 and so on until you get to the first set for exercise number 5.
After this first round of first sets,you can have two minutes to catch your breath before proceeding to set number 2 for each of the five exercises. You will follow the same routine until you finish up with set number 5 for all five exercises.
First Exercise: Crunches – 10 repetitions
- Lie flat on the floor with both knees up as if you are sitting down and just fell on your back.
- For every repetition, try to squeeze your abdominal muscles together to raise your upper torso slightly off the floor to allow your elbows to touch your knees.
It is important to keep the movements slow so that you won’t get any assistance from momentum. It doesn’t really matter if your elbows touch your knees, just focus on squeezing your ab muscles.
Second Exercise: Back Extensions – 10 repetitions
You will need a back extension bench for this one. And, you should ask a gym personnel to guide you in properly setting yourself up on the bench if you haven’t done this exercise before.
- Set yourself up on the hyper extension bench with both stabilizing pads securely supporting your calves and pelvis.
- Start off by slowly lowering your upper torso forward until you are directly facing the leg of the bench.
- Slowly pull your upper torso back to an erect position to finish one rep.
It is important to perform this exercise slowly so that you can recruit the spinal erector muscles to perform the entire movement for you. Other people might embrace a few barbell plates to add resistance. But since you are doing super sets, you can do without the added resistance and just rely on pure body weight.
Third Exercise: Bench Knee Ups – 10 repetitions
- Sit on the edge of a bench and keep your feet off the floor. They should be suspended in mid-air. You can grab hold on the edges of the bench and slightly bend backwards to support this stance.
- Pull you knees up and drive them towards your face for a count of one.
Make sure that your feet don’t touch the floor all throughout the set. This exercise keeps your ab muscles in constant tension whilst they stabilize you during the positive and negative phase of the movement.
Fourth Exercise: Stiff-legged Deadlifts – 10 repetitions
This is a very easy exercise. It is just like doing toe touches while holding a barbell.
- Start in an upright position while you hold a light barbell with both hands just hanging in front of you.
- Keeping your legs together and back erect, bend down until the bar gets to a level just below your knees and drive it back up until you are back in an erect position.
It’s perfectly fine if you slightly bend your knees a bit as you bend over. This will keep the movement safe. Use a light weight so that you can focus on driving the bar back up using your lower back muscles.
Fifth Exercise: Jumping Jacks – 30 counts
This will form the aerobic component of your core muscle super set.While doing your jumping jacks make sure that you are breathing properly. You just came from performing 4 exercises without pausing and this exercise should help you breathe in and breathe out more efficiently. Counting out loud will make sure you are breathing correctly and sufficiently.
Performing this core muscle super set in conjunction with your full body workouts will make sure that you will feel and look good even as you grow older.