Are you trying to lose weight or stay healthy? If so, then take a look at some of the tastiest low carb recipes available.
Opting for low carb meals is not only advisable for people at risk or already in a state of diabetes, hypertension and any cardiovascular diseases, it is also the best way to lose weight when combined with a regular exercise program.The best way to enjoy the low carb habit is by preparing your meals yourself. Here are some low carb meal suggestions:
- Chicken with Tonnato Sauce in Pita Pockets
- Combine 3 oz. tuna chunks, ¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise, 2 tbsp. non-fat yogurt, 1 ½ tbsp. reduced-sodium chicken broth, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. anchovy paste, 1 clove garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- To assemble the sandwiches, line 6 pita halves with lettuce and fill with 12 oz. cooked and sliced chicken or turkey, red pepper and a dollop of the tuna.
Serving Size: 6, Calories per serving: 235 calories, Carbs: 21 grams, Proteins: 26 grams and Fats: 5 grams.
- Halibut with Lemon and Caper Sauce
- Remove the skin and white pith from a lemon. Cut the segments of the lemon away from their surrounding membranes into a bowl. Strain and keep the juice for a while.
- Combine ½ cup all-purpose flour, ½ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge I pound halibut fish slightly in the flour mixture. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the fish until the outside is golden brown and the interior is opaque. Transfer to a dish
- Cook I clove garlic in the pan. Add 1/3 cupfish stock and bring to a boil. Add lemon juice and 2 tsp. butter and keep frying until butter melts. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. chopped parsley and more pepper to taste.
Serving Size: 4, Calories per serving: 196 calories, Carbs: 7 grams, Proteins: 25 grams and Fats: 7 grams.
- Turkey Scallopini with Apricot Sauce
- Combine 2 tbs. all-purpose flour, ¼ tbs. salt and ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper in a shallow pan. Dredge 8 oz. turkey cutlets in the flour mixture
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until golden. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm
- Add 1 ½ tbs. shallot and 1 ½ tsp. minced fresh ginger to the pan. Cook until fragrant. Add 1/3 cup peach nectar, 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, 1 tbs. cider vinegar and ½ tsp. brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Add 2 tbs. chopped dried apricots and cook until the apricots are tender and the sauce has reduced. Remove the heat and stir in 1 tsp. chopped fresh mint. Spoon the sauce over the turkey.
Serving Size: 2, Calories per serving: 239 calories, Carbs: 18 grams, Proteins: 30 grams and Fats: 5 grams.
- Asparagus and Canadian Bacon Omelet
- Boil 10 trimmed and chopped stalks of asparagus and ¼ cup water in a small non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until the asparagus is softened. Uncover and continue until the water has evaporated.
- Add 2 slices of Canadian bacon and 1 tbs. of olive oil to the pan. Pour in ½ cup of liquid egg substitute, reduce heat to medium-low and continue until the egg starts to set. Continue cooking, lifting the edges so the uncooked egg will flow underneath.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. of freshly ground pepper over the omelet. Reduce the heat tolow and continue cooking until the egg is set and the cheese is melted. Fold over and serve
Serving Size: 1, Calories per serving: 198 calories, Carbs: 7 grams, Proteins: 24 grams and Fats: 9 grams.
- Peppered Lamb Chops
- Preheat broiler
- Pat 12 4 oz. loin or rib lamb chops dry. Make small punctures into the lamb with a paring knife and insert slivers of garlic into each one, poking in the garlic. Brush the tops lightly with ½ tsp. the olive oil. Pat on ½ tsp. cracked peppercorns. Repeat with the other side of the lamb using the same amount of olive oil and peppercorns. Broil the chops until the lamb is brown.
Serving Size: 6, Calories per serving: 215 calories, Carbs: 1 gram, Proteins: 29 grams and Fats: 10 grams.
- Pork Cutlets with Cumberland Sauce
- Heat 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Season 2 thin-cut boneless pork chops (8 oz.) with ¼ tsp. kosher salt and ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper. Transfer to the pan and cook until brown. Transfer to plate and cover with foil to keep warm
- Add 1 minced small shallot to the pan and cook until soften. Add ½ cup dry red wine and bring to a boil. Whisk ½ tsp. cornstarch and 1 ½ tsp. red-wine vinegar in a small bowl. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tbs. red currant jelly, ½ tsp. brown sugar, ½ tsp. Dijon mustard and any accumulated juices from the pork. Serve the pork with the sauce.
Serving Size: 2, Calories per serving: 270 calories, Carbs: 11 grams, Proteins: 24 grams and Fats: 9 grams.
- Roasted Red Pepper Subs
- Combine 12 oz. roasted red pepper, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tbs. red wine vinegar and 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Slice a 20-inch baguette in half lengthwise. Spread 1 ½ tbs. olive l paste on one side and 2 oz. creamy goat cheese on the other side. Layer pepper mixture and 1 ½ cups of arugula leaves over olive paste. Top with remaining baguette. Cut across in 4 pieces.
Serving Size: 4, Calories per serving: 221 calories, Carbs: 7 grams, Proteins: 7 grams and Fats: 15 grams.
- Roasted Broccoli with lemon
- Preheat oven at 450 F
- Toss 4 cups of broccoli florets with 1 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, ¼ tsp. salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Place on a large baking sheet and roast until the broccoli is tender and blackened at the bottom. Serve immediately with lemon wedges
Serving Size: 4, Calories per serving: 54 calories, Carbs: 4 grams, Proteins: 2 grams and Fats: 4 grams.
- Tuscan-Style Tuna Salad
- Combine 12 oz. tuna chunks, 15 oz. white beans, 10 quartered cherry tomatoes, 4 trimmed and sliced scallions, 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbs. lemon juice, ¼ tbsp. salt and freshly ground pepper to taste in a medium bowl
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
Serving Size: 4, Calories per serving: 253 calories, Carbs: 20 grams, Proteins: 31 grams and Fats: 8 grams.
If preparing these low carb meals look interesting enough, what until you take your first bite into any of these recipes.
Whether you are medically forced into a low carb diet or it’s your personal choice, you’ll soon find out how wonderful it is to be lean and healthy. Cooking and eating a low carb meal is fun without the guilt.